4/4/11

Hunger and Thirst for Righteousness

It is the Beatitudes that keep running through my mind as I enter day 2 of the Daniel Fast.  Specifically the verse that says,

 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled”. 

I hunger and thirst for so many other things in my life.  At the moment – warmer weather!  But also things like…  comfortable living, easy kids, a skinny body, a shopping splurge where money is not an issue!  But, I don’t hunger and thirst for God the way that I am called to do. 

I am called to hunger and thirst for justice and for mercy.  I am called to be hungry for the love of God and to be thirsty for loving others.  I should be desiring a holy lifestyle full of grace and humility. 

And boy do I fall short. 

But a part of my prayer during this 21 day fast is that God would fill me with a hunger and a thirst for HIM and HIM alone. 

It’s day 2 and I struggle with not being able to snack on whatever I want like I am used to.  I am praying through the hunger determined to re-focus my hunger on Christ and not on things of this world.  My emotions are tested already as our dear family dog of 13 years, Allie, had to be put down today.  I am seeking comfort from God first and enjoying the sunshine with my children rather then filling up on a soda or chips which his what I would normally find myself doing. 

I know that God calls us to a greater life then the life that this world has to offer and I know that He can fill us in much greater ways then this world can as well and I want to rid myself of earthly desires and cravings and be filled with Christ Jesus. 

In Philippians chapter 2, we read of how Christ emptied himself, becoming NOTHING, so that we can be filled.  He became nothing so that I don’t have to find comfort in worldly things.  What a privilege to be able to be comforted and filled by a heavenly Father who loves us. 

What do you hunger and thirst after? 

strasburg railroad (21)

PS – isn’t he a cutie? 

No comments: