4/17/07

Tragedy

My heart is so incredibly grieved over what is happening, what did happen at Virginia Tech. It is so unsettling to think how easily this violence can occur. I really have been praying non stop for the families and the students at the school. It is so hard to realize that we are living in a world that is so violent and that people think it is in their every right to act on their emotions and feelings regardless of the law or morality or goodness. I'm angry about the situation, but even more, i'm saddened by the urgency we are in to be praying for peace, for more people to choose God and the life that HE wants us to live - which is not a life of senseless killing.

I know that God is victorious over this, I know that with the cross, we have the hope of also being victorious over such violence and sadness and darkness. I am resting in the hope and the confidence of knowing that one day there will no longer be any pain or mourning or brokeness. Days like today - I long for that moment in time when God returns and restores His kingdom.

Henri Nouwen has this great quote in regards to suffering...
"For in our suffering, not apart from it, Jesus enters our sadness, takes us by the hand, pulls us gently up to stand, and invites us to dance."

Psalm 30:5, 10 - 12
weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me; O Lord, be my help. You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with Joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.

No comments: